Lipo techniques have been perfected over the last few decades, and there are more options available than ever before. Most men and women 18 and over are good candidates for liposuction, but there are certain aspects of your health and lifestyle that could make you the ideal candidate for lipo including:
1. You are at or near your goal weight, but have stubborn areas of unwanted fat such as your flanks (love handles), abdomen and thighs. Liposuction isn’t a solution to obesity. Removing more than 6-10 pounds of fat in one procedure significantly increases your risk of complications.
2. You live a healthy lifestyle full of exercise and are otherwise in good health. The best candidates for lipo already follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen and don’t have pre-existing conditions that could cause complications such as heart disease, lung disease, diabetes and poor blood circulation.
3. You’re a non-smoker. You’re not disqualified from lipo if you are a smoker, but our cosmetic surgeon will require you to quit smoking for at least 6 weeks prior to and up to 6 weeks after lipo. Nicotine in cigarettes, e-cigs and replacement therapies such as nicotine patches can cause recovery complications and may even interfere with your results due to vascular constriction.
4. You have the required time available for your recovery. You will have to wear a compression garment for several weeks to reduce swelling and bruising, as well as refrain from strenuous activities and heavy lifting for at least two weeks.
5. You are prepared for surgery and agree to follow instructions prior to and after your lipo procedure. Dr. Pakeman will give you directions on how to prepare for both your surgery and your recovery. Make sure to provide a detailed list of all medications you’re currently taking. You may need to discontinue certain medications or supplements prior to lipo.
The only way to know if lipo is right for you is by scheduling a consultation with our cosmetic surgeon in NYC today at 212-308-1566. Manhattan Surgical Care serves clients throughout New York including NYC and Manhattan.